Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Project 1: this office sucks, don't call it an office

This is going to be an ongoing post, so brace yourselves for awesomeness, follow ups and lots of peer pressure.

I warned you from time to time I'll be sharing projects I'm working on (or planning to work on).

This is one of those times.

So, at my wonderful, fabulous, handsome (I could go ON AND ON) boyfriend Paul's condo, he's got a living room/office situation going on. The situation is this: one room doing both duties. Once your gag reflex has subsided, please continue reading.

Over the two years he's owned the condo, he's let me try a couple different configurations in that space (bless his heart), which is basically a rectangle. And don't worry, I'll take pictures and upload them when he's not looking.

But now I've reached a point where my idle decorating hands are about to go crazy if I can't do a minor upgrade to the situation.

Here's what I want to do: swap out the old, college, ghetto desk he has for this awesome glass top adjustable drafting table I have which would give him almost twice the desk top space, add some inexpensive shelves above the desk on the wall, hang some task lighting off the bottom shelf, and move the TV (brace yourself) to the SAME wall (which TOTALLY goes against my design ethics, but whatever). This will really open up the floor plan, which is necessary, because the condo is only 525 square feet. (no, that is NOT a mistype).

Here's the kind of shelving I'm petitioning for:


Here's the whole article from Sunset magazine online: http://www.sunset.com/home/decorating/great-ideas-for-home-shelves-00400000039111/

Here's the desk I already own (unfinished wood saw horses and semi-opaque blue tinted glass top):
It's hard to imagine what this would look like if you have not seen the space, so I'll take pictures soon and update you with installment two of this project: talking Paul into letting me do this.

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment