Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pack rat or pack genius?

Recently, another blog I love that's local to Seattle, Shelterrific, posted about travel prep. And of course, I had something to say about that!

Here's the post, so you can see what others were saying: http://www.shelterrific.com/2009/04/24/post-off-are-you-a-good-traveler/

I hate to brag, but I'm pretty good at the travel prep. After numerous unsuccessful trips (where I have 7 shirts, but one pair of pants, no underwear and only heels to walk all about town) I realized "this is bad, what is wrong with me?" So now I first check the weather, make a list of what I need (types of things, not specific pieces), and then when I go to pack, I get out the bag I'm taking, open it, and pull all the pieces that are on the list.

Then, before packing them (and don't forget your toiletries, but you put those in last, on top for easy access), I look at how any of the pieces can do double duty for me on the trip. This means most of the pieces can be mixed with each other for say 6 different outfits from 2 shirts, 2 pants, 1 shorts, 2 shoes and a jacket and sweater. Although sometimes I'll also bring a dress or two, because they take up no room, I can pair with both the sweater and the jacket, and that's just upped my outfit count to 8. Now I can go a whole week in a weekend sized bag. At this point, you don't even need to check your bags, just get there early enough so you get good overhead storage on the plane!

What are your thoughts on this? Good? Bad? Ugly?

No comments:

Post a Comment